Saturday, October 20, 2012

Course Reflection


The course, Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology, through Walden University has focused on theories of learning, and how technology can be used to support various instructional strategies. It has made me aware of more learning theories and technology tools, while also helping me to see how various instructional strategies could improve the learning environment in my classroom. As a result of the knowledge I have gained, I look forward to making a few changes in my classroom and theoretical approach.

The first changes have occurred in my theory of learning. While I still believe that students have a variety of learning styles, and that they learn best through activities that make use of the targeted skills, I would now describe my theory of learning as a form of social constructivism instead of constructivism or the multiple intelligences theory. As a result of this course, I have come to believe that people construct knowledge primarily through interactions with others and their environment (Kim, 2001, para. 9-11). The change in my theory of learning is primarily in the belief that the social aspects of learning are of high importance. This course has also shown me that technology can significantly enhance the opportunities for social learning by providing easy access to quality tools for collaboration with students and experts around the world, tools for practice, and teacher-tested projects.

Another way that the knowledge I have gained through this course has lead to changes in my instructional practice. In this course, as in a previous course, I learned about nine instructional strategies that a team, lead by Robert Marzano, identified as being statistically proven to enhance student learning (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011). Unlike the previous course, however, this course focused on providing multiple examples of how technology could be used to support student learning using each of the strategies. I plan to intentionally use the nine strategies in my lessons and to integrate technology as often as possible. For instance, when graphing linear equations I will use the strategy “generating and testing hypotheses” along with the website GraphSketch.com. I will have students sketch a prediction of what each graph will look like, then I will have students use GraphSketch.com to create the graph to test their prediction. In my band classes, I can use the strategy “cues, questions, and advance organizers” along with an unfinished concept map created on a website such as LucidChart.com, to focus students' note-taking during a music history lesson. According to Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, and Malenoski, this type of advance organizer “helps students organize their thoughts around the essential information and gets them thinking about what they know about the topic” (2007, p76).

Finally, I have also created goals for my technology integration as a result of this course. The first goal is to do at least one technology-related project per year with each of my middle school bands. The second goal is to use technology to help my students become better note-takers in my math classroom. I can accomplish the first goal by looking at our concert schedule and setting aside a block of time in each band's schedule when it won't interfere with concert preparations. Then I will need to create several project-based assignments for use when the time is right. Some ideas include creating compositions, recording student performances, and creating a blog or wiki dedicated to composers or other music-related topics. The second goal can be accomplished by using the strategies “cues, questions, and advance organizers,” “summarizing and note-taking,” and “reinforcing effort.” Each of these strategies has several options for supporting technology, such as creating a web page dedicated to recognizing student effort, creating a KWL (know, want to know, learned) chart in a spreadsheet program, or creating an incomplete concept map for students to finish as they take notes.

As my course comes to a close, I realize that I have learned a lot about learning theories, instructional strategies, and how technology can be used to bring about student growth. I have been inspired to use technology, as I implement instructional strategies, to prepare students for their technology-rich future.

Kim, B. (2001). Social Constructivism. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Social_Constructivism

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Program eleven: Instructional strategies, Part one [Video webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Retrieved from http://laureate.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=5700267&CPURL=laureate.ecollege.com&Survey=1&47=2594577&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=0&bhcp=1

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

No comments:

Post a Comment