Wednesday, May 22, 2013

GAME Plan, Part 2

Last week I posted my GAME plan for improving in my professional practices.  Since that time, I have made progress towards my goals, and I am continuing to consider what resources will be needed to progress further.  

Two short-term goals that I listed in my previous post were to implement a short project in my remedial algebra class, and to make plans with another teacher in my district to have my students demonstrate instruments for her class using Skype.  On Monday and Tuesday of this week I was able to do a project with my algebra students that was based on this webquest, created by Mr. Moor.  The project helped students to see linear relationships in real life, and to connect "slope" with ratios such as points per game and calories per hour.  I have also made plans with the elementary music teacher to allow my students to demonstrate instruments for her class using FaceTime on our iPads, which will be linked to projectors and amplified using speakers.  We also tested the technology to be sure that everything will work smoothly. I have also begun collecting resources that may provide ideas for using technology and providing more authentic experiences in my math classroom.  I have listed a few resources at the bottom of this post.

To continue making progress, I will need to find more resources, especially in the band area, and seek out experts to bring into my classroom, either virtually or physically.  I plan to speak with other math and music teachers in my district to get some ideas of authentic lessons for each of my classrooms.  Thankfully, playing music is already an authentic experience, so my band students are engaged in authentic experiences nearly every day.  Since "both educators and business and industry leaders have increasingly stressed the importance of developing students' creative and logical thinking skills," (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p. 23) I need to continue to find ways to make these authentic experiences a part of all of my classes.

Links I have collected so far: 
References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureat Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

5 comments:

  1. Jeremy, I found it interesting that your links included pinterest. I have only just looked at the site briefly but had thought of it as a homemaker and craft site not an educational site. I will take a look at it from an educator's eye because of your lead. Thanks for the new perspective. Your use of projects will really help students to make connections with the content in a meaningful way and I have found that if students connect with it they will learn it and remember it in such a way that they can apply it later.
    Diane Miller
    Diane Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane,

    I had the same perspective as you for Pinterest until I was trying to find something for my wife to use with her piano students and stumbled across some nice resources on there through a Google search. Since I am new to Pinterest also, I have only a limited knowledge of it's workings, but until just now I've found my homepage of Pinterest to be a bit of a hassle to navigate. It seems to list everything reverse chronological order, which is nice if you just want to browse, but I was hoping to list them by author or topic. I did find, however, that you can use the search bar to narrow the posts to a single author, or to search by topic (which searches the entire Pinterest community).

    Have a great weekend!

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeremy,

    I took much interest in your post, and I believe you have many valuable resources for your math classes – including those ideas that you can gain from a social networking site like Pinterest; it is great how much educators can now share over the Internet. However, I was especially interested in your plans for your band students. I am a 7th grade English teacher, but in middle and high school I was a member of concert, jazz, and marching band (I was Drum Major senior year, too!). Music was and still is a passion of mine, and as you said, the experience of playing an instrument in itself is an authentic one.

    What I really enjoyed is how you have determined to bridge the gap that separates primary school band students from secondary ones through up-to-date resources. The collaboration/peer-teaching that will take place through the iPad’s FaceTime application is timely. It is one thing for students to learn instruments from their peers face-to-face, but I feel the virtual learning environment will make for higher levels of engagement. This entire activity, including your collaboration with the elementary music teacher, fits with the International Society for Technology in Education’s (2008) standard 1d that states effective teachers, “Model collaborative knowledge construction by engaging in learning with students, colleagues, and others in face-to-face and virtual environments.” Overall, a virtual learning environment can prepare students for the unforeseeable future. From colleges and universities to major corporations, people across the globe are learning over the Internet through avenues such as online classrooms and YouTube tutorials. Our students can benefit highly from learning in the same manner in which they will learn in their 21st century futures, and your plan will provide students with that opportunity.

    Ertmer (2009) states that integrating technology effectively requires that teachers remain convinced that it is a better way (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009). I can clearly see that you do, and that is refreshing, since learning instruments and music may appear to be most effective when teachers and students are in the same room. You are going to prove otherwise.

    Thank you,
    Traci Audino

    References

    International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers

    Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009). Enriching Content Area Learning Experiences with Technology – PART 1. [Video webcast]. In Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu



    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeremy,

    I am wondering if you have ever thought of using Apple's Garage Band for an authentic resource for teaching song writing? If not, you might check it out!

    Thanks,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete