Wednesday, May 29, 2013

GAME Plan, Part 3

My GAME plan is now in its third week, and I am continuing to make progress toward my goals.  This blog post is an example of the third step of the GAME plan, which is to Monitor my progress.  Another example of the third step of the game plan is my journal.

Keeping a journal is one way to reflect on, and monitor, the progress that I have made toward my goals.  Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer (2009, p. 11) explain that "Key to effective reflection is the ability to go beyond ... what happened to consider why it happened ... and what adjustments should be made."   In my journal I have listed some steps that I have already taken, reflections on those steps, and ideas for the future.  You are welcome to view the journal and comment if you would like.

In addition to creating my journal, I have also made other progress towards my goal.  My FaceTime experience with an elementary music classroom was good overall, but could have been smoother if I had spent more time preparing my students.  You may view a blog post by the other music teacher here.  I have also e-mailed five math teachers from my district to see what authentic learning experiences they have created in their classroom, but have not heard back from them yet.

I believe that my GAME plan is running smoothly and do not believe that I need anything but more time to continue making gains.  Two hurdles that I currently face are the end of the school year, which is less than a week away, and the fact that I am searching for a new job for next year.  Regardless of where I am in the future, the knowledge and experience I gain as I work at my GAME plan will help me to be successful.

References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009).  Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach.  (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cenage Learning.

2 comments:

  1. Jeremy, I took a look at your journal and I am impressed. I think that teachers by nature are rather reflective but may not commit those thoughts to pen and paper. I think that your journal is a good way to track your progress. Often when we have a lot to accomplish we tend to focus on what is left to do. Your journal provides you with a visual road map of where you have been as a teaching professional and encourages that inner dialogue to plan where you want to go next. Good luck with finding a new position next year. You are gaining some good skills here to carry with you no matter where you teach.
    Diane Miller

    ReplyDelete